Re: Cyanotype

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 02/16/06-11:25:40 AM Z

In a message dated 16/2/06 3:32:25 pm, mail@loris.medici.name writes:

> I think it's rude and arrogant to imply someone's results are inferior
> (especially when done without seeing the actual tests/prints!) just
> because they use a different method and don't follow your dogma. Also,
> "good picture" can be a very subjective concept. Do you wonder why I
> asked so much and so detailed questions about Cyanotype-Rex?

Loris

No. It is thirty years' knowledge of the history and practice of the
cyanotype and of what works and what does not work. You reach a point where one has
seen it all before.

It is important to point out to those setting out in the 'alt' world that
most of these processes are very simple, (the cyanotype is the simplest of them
all) and that the student should be very careful when people make them
unnecessarily complicated. The gum inversion debate was a case in point. This sort of
thing can so easily frighten people off.

It would, as just one example, have been more useful to explain how to avoid
the need to double coat by getting the negative right. If someone were to say
to you 'Can't I get you to understand' some aspect of basic photography, what
would your reaction be ? Is it possible that the inability to understand
might have been theirs. Don't you think that it might have been better to say
"Could you explain that in a little more detail please?"

I am afraid that I was rather surprised at your questions especially as the
issues had already been explained very carefully in order to avoid an
appearance of patronisation.

My criterion for 'good' here was a good density range and good gradation.
Such matters are objective.

Terry

Terry

Terry King FRPS