Cyanotype

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 02/15/06-02:50:47 AM Z

On reflection, I thought that it might be useful to pursue the cyanotype
issue.

My own experience is that the standard cyanotype produces very beautiful
results with great subtlety of gradation and range of tone in the image, (see
the examples on my web site). .The materials are cheap and the making of the
print is simple and safe. Those made over 160 years ago are as bright today as
the day they werre made. The many variations of method produce little
significant difference. . But, given the chemistry it is necessary to give a long
exposure to obtain the best results.

My making of the cyanotype rex arose from my making of chrysotype rex . I
asked, what if I tried similar method for cyanotypes. When I did I found that I
got results that were so fast that we got results in camera. We managed to
achieve a range of blues and more exciting split tones that we had with the
traditional system. The chemicals were readily available.

I wonder if Loris could be kind enough to explain why he uses the new
cyanotype rather than the traditional method.

Terry

Loris asked what differences I saw between the cyanotype rex and the new
cyanotype.

Terry King FRPS

RPS Historical Group (Chairman)

_www.hands-on-pictures.com/_ (http://www.hands-on-pictures.com/)