RE: Pictorico for Zone Plate

From: Gordon J. Holtslander ^lt;holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Date: 02/21/06-09:20:16 AM Z

Hi:

I think the pixelated image - even though its very minute may cause
problems with a traditional zoneplate. If I understand them correctly a
zoneplate focuses by the creation of an interference a pattern caused by
the diffraction of light rays on the rings of the zoneplate. The edges of
a zoneplate created with a finely pixelated image may not create a
consistent pattern of diffraction. It may work but I don't think the
image formed would be as sharp as one using a true vector image.

A good compromise might be a photon sieve. A photon sieve consists of a
large number of appropriately distributed pinholes instead of rings as the
diffracting elements. It might be less dependent on a distict edge. The
diffraction effect is distributed amonst many small pinholes.

I'm no physicist - it might more dependent on perfect circles than a zone
plate.

See http://ca.geocities.com/penate%40rogers.com/sieve/photonsieve.html

I tried making zone plates with an imagesetter from postscript files. I
ended up making zoneplates with circles with smaller thicknesses than the
imagesetter was capable of cleanly producing.

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Loris Medici wrote:

> Lith film should be more suitable for that purpose (zone plate - Goggle
> for the program "Pinhole Designer"; it gives you the possibility to
> design a zone plate .pdf file that you can have it printed with a very
> high resolution imagesetter at a service bureau). BTW, I never heard
> anything such as a pinhole "lens" ;)
>
> Regards,
> Loris.

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2