Re: SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC INTERPOLATION SOFTWARE RECOMMENDATIONS

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 02/21/06-09:37:30 AM Z

If you have Photoshop CS or CS2, you may want to save your money and
use one of the newer Photoshop features. When you go to image size, you
are presented with a Resample drop down menu. This menu defaults to
"Bicubic". If you explore the options on this drop down there are two
"new" flavors: "Bicubic Smoother" and "Bicubic Sharper".

The old standard "Bicubic" is very good at most "almost the same size"
changes. For significant enlargements try "Bicubic Smoother", it is a
real improvement. Also for significant reductions in size, try "Bicubic
Sharper" (nice for making web images). I use to be a big fan of the
"stairstep" method for enlargements. "Smoother" is better and easier
:-)

These would be far more used if they had given them better names. Who
wants "Smoother"?? It should have been named "Bicubic Enlarge". Then
everyone would have loved it!

When I said the image size dialog defaults to "Bicubic", well... mine
does. That may be a pref setting. So, if you don't see what I'm talking
about, just explore the drop down menu next to the "Resample Image"
checkbox (bottom of the dialog on a Mac).

Tom