Re: Zone Plate lens or aperture was Re: Pictorico for Zone Plate

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 02/22/06-09:15:47 AM Z

 From my experience, the term "focusing your camera" is a bit overstated
with a zone plate. I put a 75mm zone plate onto the bottom (taking)
half of a cheap medium format TLR. Great fun, and a bright viewfinder
lens to compose with! I went through a lot of work to get it exactly
75mm from the film, then set up a transparent light bulb in a long dark
room, but a piece of ground glass into the camera and adjusted to that!
Perfectionist?? Who me??

Well, once the thing was in use, I discovered that changing the focus a
bit made no difference in the final print. My advice: Putting a 75mm
zone plate within 10% of 75mm and go have fun. That is about all the
"focusing" needed. I don't "focus" the camera in the field.

As for referring to the zone plate look as "artistic license", well I'm
sure it isn't for everyone. It is not sharp, period! More like a
pinhole with the "light smear" of a wide open portrait soft focus lens
added in. More interesting in color than B&W (for me).

Tom