Re: Vandyke colors?

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 02/28/06-07:45:20 AM Z

Yves,

Hard to say but I suspect the differences may simply be caused by using
different papers or coating techniques. I use Cranes' Kid Finish
ecruwhite generally and a "puddle pusher" glass coating rod. I suspect
your Fabriano paper has a greater degree of sizing and much different
surface and absorption characteristics, especially if coating by brush.
The RH probably is also a factor and as Loris has remarked, perhaps
solarization may also play a part.

Joe

>>> gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca 02/27/06 7:55 PM >>>
Joe,

thanks a million, the color I get with 2 coats is very similar to your
(single coat ecruwhite) and maybe even a bit lighter then that. This is
base
on the area outside the negative. Could this be because my coating was
thin or do you see another reason for the lighter tone (Dmax) I seem to
be
getting? In case this would help you, I used Fabriano Artistico Ultra
white
(hot pressed) and I followed the recipe and procedure given below (Wynn
White). Yes, maybe it could be because of my low RH % situation
overhere.

Regards
Yves