Re: Old Postcard Silver Patina

From: Bob Maxey ^lt;written_by@msn.com>
Date: 01/05/06-01:52:58 AM Z

>>>Thank you Richard. Definitely "mirroring" would be an apt term if I had to
give it a name. Does anyone know -- being that the photo was produce at the
turn of the century -- would this be a silver gelatin emulsion already or
were they still using salts and albumen? This one has a definite crack on
the emulsion (top, right). It was produced on card stock with a pre-printed
postcard form on the back. A "one-off" I'm guessing or maybe a short run of
25 or 50 probably so the person could mail it off to relatives or friends
Any ideas on how and what equipment these cards were produced? Was this a
rapid turn around business?>>>

I am not sure about the kind of cards you have, but I have printed literally thousands of those types of cards. At one time, Eastman Kodak offered a wide variety of postcard stocks, with and without what was called a Deckle Edge. These cards were very popular around Christmas. For quite some time, Kodak offered materials as well as color greeting cards and color GC masks.

As I recall, our firm charged .07 cents per card before we stopped offering them around 1960.

If anyone is interested, I still have hundreds of Kodak Greeting Card Masks for all sorts of negative sizes and perhaps a dozen different designs. Still unopened. All of my masks are for Christmas cards. Too bad nobody wants them these days.

I am amazed that few people want some of the junk I gathered up. There are Kodak collectors, but still, they ain't buying, despite the fact they have never seen some of this stuff.

The way they were used was as follows: the negative was carefully taped into the pre-cut opening in the mask and prints were made on Kodak Card Stock by contact printing. The masks were a heavy lithographic type film, similar to Kodalith.

Bob
..
 Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msncom