Re: "Split-tone" with gum.

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer_at_pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:02:22 -0700

On Jul 11, 2006, at 8:12 AM, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> I don't know if this is what is happening in your case (probably
> not) but the terms we used were that certain colors in mixture
> flocculate, granulate, and/or separate from each other. With
> granulation they separate into the hollows of the paper,
> flocculation has to do with electrostatic charge they seem to
> think...but in watercolor practice this was a technique to exploit,
> especially in wash effects. It happens beautifully with the
> phthalos mixed with reds to create a deep shimmery green black.
>
> Granulation also means some pigments will look grainier in gum
> printing because of their tendency to settle or clump.

Yes, as I explain on my website, a printer who understands her
pigments well can exploit the tendency of some colors in mixtures to
settle out etc, and I've done some interesting things by so
exploiting the characteristics of pigments in mixtures. But no, I
don't think that's what's happening in this case. There's no
granulation or flocculation, just a split-tone look where the color
in the highlights is different than the color in the shadows and
midtones.
Katharine