Re: html messages and spam

From: Alberto Novo <alt_list_at_albertonovo.it>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:20:35 +0200

TERRYAKING@aol.com wrote:

> fotodave@dsoemarko.us writes:
>
>> >Well, as a rule I prefer to speak about the sin and not the sinner...
>> >Tomorrow morning I could list who and whose messages are in
>> >my blacklist in a day, if this doesn't hurt anybody.
>>
>> Well, you don't have to announce the sinners list publicly either. Perhaps
>> you could tell the sinners directly and maybe some of them might repent.
>>

>> Dave S
>>

> Ah !
>
> But what is a sin and. more importantly, why ?
>
> Probably a question more approproiate to other lists.

Not completely true.
 From the recommendations under the "attachments" paragraph in the recent
Alt-photo reminder: "Plain text is the only universally accepted email
standard.
Please change the settings of your email program so that it will send
only plain text messages to the alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca mailing list"

As for my one-day statistics, I received 10 html messages out of 37.
They were 9 different persons, all sending both plain and html (formatted)
text to the list: as pointed out by Candace, many mail programs keep the
format of the incoming e-mail and it is not enough to select the "plain
text" preference for the outgoing messages. This works only with the new
messahes, not for the replies.

I don't wnow if it is only a coincidence, but the last 10 messages sent to
the list are in plain text.

All the best
Alberto