Re: palladium drydown and developer (albumen & collodion)

From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs_at_silvergrain.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 01:10:38 -0400 (EDT)

From: Loris Medici <mail@loris.medici.name>
Subject: RE: palladium drydown and developer (albumen & collodion)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 22:44:16 +0300

> - How am I supposed to do a credible / extensive review / comparison
> without revealing copyrighted information?

This is not a problem at all. One cannot protect "information" by
copyright. That is, the idea, such as the formula, cannot be protected
by copyright. Practically speaking, one loses control on the
information of the formula once it is published in some way. The only
way I can think of to keep right on this type of information is to
obtain a patent, but in this case you'll have to disclose the best way
to achieve the goal.

If you quote formula and some descriptions from his PDF file, to a
reasonable extent to illustrate your points in your review, it is also
considered fair use in the context of copyright law.

I've seen chemical formula published with copyright warning, but they
are completely ineffective, other than to scare away some naive
people. Unless you extensively reproduce the graphics or anything on
the article by photographic means, I don't know how copyright applies
to such work.

However, be careful about plagiarism. This is not a legal issue but
rather an ethical issue. I can easily name a few on alt-photo-process,
APUG, pure-silver and photo.net who are repeat offenders. I have
absolutely no respect for them.

> About expelling Terry out of the list: I think it's a too hard measure
> to take for the current situation (this is the sensible/logical part
> of me writing, my emotional part is with Don). Anyway, just disregard
> him when he starts writing nonsense and/or he plays his famous game...
> Let him alone with his buffoonery when he does so.

Agreed.