Re: sodium citrate, ammonium citrate, bleeding of borders

From: Sandy King <sanking_at_clemson.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:52:17 -0400

Chris,

Other responses by Clay and Eric reflect my understanding of the pH
issue as it relates to staining. With both kallitype and palladium
printing, and regardless of whether I am using ammonium citrate,
sodium citrate or potassium oxalate I get staining that is very
difficult or impossible to clear if the developer pH gets over about
pH 7.0. And with most papers, the pH of the developer increases as
you send more paper through, I guess because most papers have a
slight base buffer. So to prevent staining I also have to replenish
the developer on a regular basis, which I do by adding back about
50-100 ml of fresh solution for every 100 square inches of paper that
goes through the developer, though more appears to be needed with the
citrates than with potassium oxalate.

Not sure about the bleeding issue since this is something I have not
experienced. It could be an old developer issue, or a paper issue,
just don't know.

As for your experience re: speed and color, I generally agree. In my
experience ammonium citrate gives the coldest tones, followed by
sodium citrate, and potassium oxalate gives the warmest tones. Also,
for warmer tones you can heat the potassium oxalate. As for speed,
the major difference I have observed is between the citrates and
potassium oxalate, as I get about a 1/2 stop increase in speed with
the later. Between ammonium and sodium citrate, perhaps I have not
tested it as closely as you since I did not observe any difference.

Sandy