Re: Alt List correspondence on "Nabble'

From: Gordon J. Holtslander <holtsg_at_duke.usask.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:54:48 -0600

Hi:

I expect people to use this list responsibly. If they can't I unsubscribe
them. That's the reason it is unacceptable to post messages to the list
without signing up.

I have had to remove a number of subscribers from the list due to childish
and abusive postings that were damaging to the well-being of the list.

If people can post through nabble, they can be abusive childish idiodic
etc etc etc, and there would be nothing any of us could do about it. I
won't tolerate that.

I insist that this list be a forum of responsible adults.

I have unsubscribed nabble until they have disabled the ability to post
messages from nabble.

Gord Holtslander
List Manager

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Camden Hardy wrote:

> > Posting by a stranger without signing up for the list should be
> > unacceptable. In my understanding, this list has some rule that one
> > should post with his/her real name.
>
> This rule is impossible to enforce over the web. Short of providing
> social security numbers and/or credit cards (which I'm sure no one wants
> to do), we can't verify 100% that we are who we say we are.
>
> I'm still not understanding why it should be "unacceptable" to post to
> this list without signing up; the unrestricted signing up to this list
> (just send a blank email) doesn't in any way enforce the real name policy.
> Posting through nabble will do nothing more than save the poster the 30
> seconds or so to sign up the "right" way. It will not guaruntee their
> honesty/identity.
>

> > why should we approve yet another way for people to post anonymously?
>
> Refer to FAQ #11 on nabble's site:
> "But if a list owner feels unsure, and wants to restrict the posting to
> only the list members, please send us an email and we will adjust the
> posting policy accordingly." Problem solved.
>

> Camden Hardy
>
> camden@hardyphotography.net
> http://www.hardyphotography.net

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2