problem mixing argyrotype

From: ryberg ^lt;cryberg@comcast.net>
Date: 03/18/06-05:20:59 PM Z

Folks,
    I am trying to mix sensitizer for Argryotype following Mike Ware's
instructions and starting with silver nitrate. I mixed the specified amount
of silver nitrate in water, added the specified amount of sodium
hydroxide/water solution and got a dark brown precipitate which I assume is
the correct amount of silver oxide. This I filtered, washed and dried.
Next I dissolved the specified amount of sulfamic acid in the specified
amount of water and slowly added the silver oxide. It seemed to dissolve,
giving me a brown liquid, however, when it sat a few minutes I realized it
had not dissolved but merely formed a suspension which settled out. It is
hard to tell, but I would guess that at least a third of the brown solid
(presumably silver oxide) dissolved, perhaps as much as two-thirds. The
rest has not dissolved after 6 hours.
     Should I add sulfamic acid, (assuming there is not enough to react with
the silver oxide)?
    Should I filter and carry on with the addition of ferric ammonium
citrate?
    Should I dump the lot and start over?
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Charles, Portland OR