RE: Mixing argyrotypes

From: Loris Medici ^lt;mail@loris.medici.name>
Date: 03/20/06-05:26:29 AM Z

I can't say I understand well the remarks made by Mike Ware in his paper
"The Argyrotype Process", section "An Alternative Silver Salt". (See it
@ http://www.mikeware.co.uk/mikeware/Argyrotype_Process.html.)

He says:

1) Silver nitrate is an oxidiser; it oxidizes the colloidal silver image
during wet processing - expecially in acidic conditions.

2) Using alkaline-buffered developers overcomes this but introduces the
problem of forming of unsoluble ferric hydroxide compound in the paper
fibers which also cause fading of image.

According to my *limited* knowledge:

Point 1 affects image dmax, not longevity / archival properties (ok,
maybe a colloidal silver image consisting of very slightly larger grains
- compared to Vandyke: because they were not dissolved by silver nitrate
- is better in terms of longevity, but to what extent? In fact, both are
colloidal silver images.) Point 2 can be eliminated entirely by a couple
of 2-3% citric acid post-rinses after developement.

I do (actually, "was doing" is proper) Vandykes and I never used
straight tap water even for the first rinse. Only 2% citric acid.
(According to Mike Ware this would cause a density loss due to silver
nitrate's dissolving effect on colloidal silver - I was pretty happy
with the image density of "double coated" prints; not that much with
single coated prints though...) I would use tap water after a good deal
of clearing in citric acid only (that is: releasing unreacted silver
nitrate + unexposed iron salts) - as the last rinse (10 minutes,
changing water every 30 secs). Doesn't this mean there's no remaining
silver nitrate and iron salts which would cause fading of the silver
image?

In short: Argyrotype can be a remedy for the dmax lovers - letting them
having good dmax with just one coating (presumably; didn't confirmed it
myself), but it has the price of being quite finicky about paper and
relatively difficult to mix. To me, it's not necessarily more archival
since the final image is the very same colloidal silver as in salt print
and Vandyke - unless they're processed correctly leaving no silver
nitrate and iron salts in the paper.

What would be your comments?

Regards,
Loris.