Re: gloy for tricolor on yupo?

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 03/30/06-10:03:40 PM Z

Man, I'm really screwing up here...first I don't match my subject line with
my content, even though I was addressing Terry's comment about gum being too
thin in said letter, mind you. Now poor Loris is taken to task for using my
name in vain. I kinda like the sound of "a la Christina"....I always talk
about "a la Sam Wang" so now I feel like maybe I can approach Sam in
caliber.

So in (humorous, tongue in cheek) defense of Loris and myself, let me
clarify:

I do use 15% dichromate, so I am not using a saturated dichromate. However,
my 6 minute time I settled on, down in humid SC or up here in dry MT, is
based strictly on the Nelson PDN system, first finding my standard printing
time with a step wedge, then finding the particular color ink choice that
determines my paper white, and then exposing a step tablet at that time and
with that paper color to plot a custom curve. So it is not an arbitrary
time choice, but one densitometrically chosen.

Since that time (6 minutes) has remained consistent through humidity, color,
you name it, and since Loris and I are both using PDN, it is understandable
that he would say what he said.

The 6 minute printing time, given UVBL and 15% dichromate and my workflow
gives me a layer that develops in an hour and yet can also be spray
developed without the layer sloughing off. It also provides a deep enough
colored layer. At 5 minutes it is not bad either, but the layer of gum is a
bit more tenuous and not as strongly colored--the more exposure, the deeper
the gum layer is and hence the more pigment remains on the paper. At least,
in side by side step wedges exposed at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 minutes this is
the case--the colored layer thickens and therefore deepens with exposure. If
my website ever gets up it'll show this little example.

Since I have had 15 students also corroborate this (given a different Epson
printer, different curves, different color negative chosen), I think a 6
minute UVBL print time is within the reasonable scheme of things, using a
half strength/15% dichromate and therefore being kinder to the environment
even if I have to take a minute of extra exposure. But, of course, a 7%
dichromate does just fine with this, too.

One of these days I'll have a few moments to see if the curve is different
for the 7% dichromate, or even for potassium. One of these days I'll even
have time to take my new Epson R2400 out of the box so I can, in fact, print
negatives since my 2200 died. Ahhhhh, so many printers, so little time....
Chris