Digital negatives (again)

From: Yves Gauvreau <gauvreau-yves_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 10:34:26 -0400

Hi,

with my last post on this topic, I received a few private emails either
asking for details and or raising some very good points. Anyway, all this
kind of triggered a few more ideas and there may something useful coming out
of this, which is not mine by the way.

Someone told me it would be nice to have inks designed to print negative.
After a bit of reflexion I said to myself, the problem is not with the inks
but how the printer and printer driver spits them out. One thing seem
obvious with this idea, there is no way Epson will make a special driver to
make a negative from our original just by saying I want this or that Dmax
even if it is technically feasible and probably relatively easy to do,
especially, if these driver would be useful to just a small bunch of
alt-printer and maybe a few more "normal" printer.

But what if the commercial and industrial printing community could benefit
from such a thing? I have no idea, is there someone here who see a use for
something like that in commercial printing?

Another possiblity, is the hacker community, they like nothing more then a
good challenge, maybe...

I know, I know, Dan, Mark and maybe others have showed us all how to do this
manually and with just a few test you can get an optimal negative. By this I
mean you can create with these methods a negative that doesn't cripple your
original and it works fine, so way bother?

Regards
Yves