Re: first my "French", Now my English

From: Yves Gauvreau <gauvreau-yves_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 08:46:15 -0400

 Judy,

> I assume your first language is French... We are all aware of how the
> French strive to preserve their beautiful language...(what is the name of
> their "academy" that forbids signs in English? The very topic reminds me
> of the time, in a park near Quebec, having deposited our daughter at a
> French summer language course, I was speaking quietly in English to my
> husband when a park employee came over to inform us in French that this
> was a French speaking country. I was so startled, I instantly forgot every
> word of French I ever knew, and at a loss in attempting to request his
> absence.)
>
> Does English merit less? Must we outlaw any language not normal for
> the bar, the soccer field, or computer games?

I apologise for this fellow who traumatized you Judy, I assure you, not
every one here is like that. I'm sure it's possible, especially these days
that a french speaking couple walking in Central Park could live a similar
experience but I don't think we could infer much from the (mis)behaviour of
a or a few individuals.

I'm not sure that "We" <are all aware> of how the French strive... I
wouldn't know I haven't been in France lately and I don't listen to their
news either. Some of us here (and probably on the other side of the
Atlantic) would consider this a serious offence, I mean here, to be
considered a French, is the supreme insult, yes we share a language and a
few other things but that's about it. On the opposite side of the Atlantic
(France) associating the precious, hum! sorry, the prestigious "L'académie
Française" with forbiding English signs here in Québec is also most likely
to be very close to a supreme insult if not worst. "We" here in Québec call
ourselves either just Canadians or more specifically French Canadians,
manytimes you'll ear "Québecois" also, now, if you use "French", don't you
go drop the "Canadians" word again, you never know, this may start a
tsunami. How do you say this again, LOL I think.

I may not have said it that way but essentially I was trying to suggest the
use of an intelligent and high level "universal" English or one that use the
least regionalism or the least "local colors" as possible.

Have a nice day,
Yves