Lost with translation, was re: first my "French", Now my English

From: Phillip Murphy <pmurf_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 11:35:29 -0500

Hello all,

I need help translating some early (1840's) alt-photo pages that are in
French.
I recently had a young French national translate them and the result was
little
better than what I was getting from Babelfish or Google translator.

It seems that there was some difficulty not only with the technical
names involved
but with the style of language from those days.

Does anyone know a good resource for translating early photographic text?

-Phillip