Re: first my "French", Now my English

From: Judy Seigel <jseigel_at_panix.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 21:51:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Yves Gauvreau wrote:

> I apologise for this fellow who traumatized you Judy, I assure you, not
> every one here is like that. I'm sure it's possible, especially these days
> that a french speaking couple walking in Central Park could live a similar
> experience but I don't think we could infer much from the (mis)behaviour of
> a or a few individuals.

Actually, New Yorkers are entranced by French speakers, especially now
that they've been softened up by their own riots. AND New Yorkers are VERY
aware of value of tourism to the economy.

But I suspect our experience was the temper of the times. It was quite
long ago, at the height of the separatist movement for "French Canada,"
with, as I recall, capitol to be in Quebec? I'd forgotten another moment
my husband reminds me of. It was in the same area, a camping ground. He
had an urgent desire for a restroom, dashed into the office and asked *in
English.* The desk replied, "Ici, monsieur, nous parlons Francais."
Husband thought hard (German had by then replaced most of his remaining
French neurons) and managed an "Ou est le...whatever" and was answered in
time. It occurred to me then that they thought we were Canadians... Would
they have been so rude to folks spending American dollars, no matter how
they hated "Americans" -- we brought (anyway a few) dollars when the
dollar was actually worth money.

In any event, folks take their cues, especially bad ones, from the society
and, at the time, feelings did run high.

However, speaking of rudeness, the Canadians aren't in it with the
Parisian French... as they were in 1960 or so. I remember asking a passing
Frenchman directions to "la gare". Without breaking stride, he shot over
his shoulder, "Il y a trois gares" and kept walking. But 24 years later,
Parisians were much nicer -- I think even they had come to realize the
value of tourism to the economy..... (As we are very aware in NYC,
although I would happily share some of the overflow with points north,
south and west... Movies made round-the-clock in the street are another
great trauma... though we share a lot of that with Toronto....tra la!)

bonjour,

Judy