First Argyrotype

From: Loris Medici <mail_at_loris.medici.name>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 09:14:13 +0300

I made my first Argyrotype last night. See it below:
http://www.loris.medici.name/First_Argyrotype.jpg (~ 100Kb)

Technical info:
Digital negative. Media: Photowarehouse Ultrafine Crystal Clear,
printer: Epson 1290 OEM dye inks, calibration system: PDN, color: R:40
G:255 B:0, std. printing time: 11 mins. using 8x40W BL tubes 1.5" above
frame glass, paper: Whatman HP watercolor, coating: with a glass rod,
sensitizer amnt: 8 drops per 100cm2 (25 drops = 1ml with my pipettes).

I happen to like the process because it gives relatively good dmax with
just one coat; I have to double coat to reach similar dmax with Vandyke.
The color is different from (not as reddish as) Vandyke but it's
beatiful in it's own respect.

There's slight solarization in the darkest parts. It seems that I still
have to optimise a) sensitizer amnt. per coating area, b) surfactant
amnt. per sensitizer (BTW, no surfactant was used for this print) in
order to get optimum dmax (see the dark band on the left edge; no
solarization -> better dmax)... I believe my standard printing time's OK
(confirmed with step-tablet tests).

I plan to explore the following toning options: a) gold (thiourea +
gold) b) palladium (citric acid + palladium). I don't have the regular
palladium salt, Li2PdCl4 instead (because I do Ziatypes, not D.O.P
Palladiums and have plenty of it on hands). Any of you with experience
toning kallitype / vandyke / argyrotype with Li2PdCl4? I guess (hope)
toning will cure problems related to solarization too. I don't plan to
exhibit / sell untoned prints anyway...

Regards,
Loris.