Re: oil prints -selective inking

From: John Grocott <john.grocott403_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 10:38:51 +0100

Hi Gord, Colouring of your image with oil pigment once the matrix has been
made is a great step forward for people like you who are obviously
interested in building photographic pictures by hand. Oil pigments allow
you to add or change, or completely remove and replace selected coloured
areas of the format as the medium is very slow drying; similar to
traditional painting with oils. Work can be left and returned to, later, for
continuation. Brushes or foam rollers or foam dabbers may be used to isolate
parts of the subject as desired. Personally, I prefer small foam rollers as
they are cheap to replace and can be used to lay in large areas of ink
quickly or modify small details. I presume your pinhole pics start as
paper negs in the camera? It sounds like a great project. Wish we could see
some of your results. Artists' paper is very expensive for
experiments.....so I use decorators lining paper (extremely cheap) for
practice which comes in large rolls and stands up well to soaking as it is
made to take water paste for sticking to walls.
             I am now stroking the cat. John.