Re: studio cameras circa 1950s

From: Catherine Rogers <crogers_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 19:25:32 +1000

Jack,

I don't think that you were off-tangent with your interesting assessment of
the role of the 35mm camera in history and with respect to historical
moments. Even the poem you quoted by Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832) has some
(small) photographic relevance. (I couldn't help myself on this one -
sorry!) In September, 1844, WHF Talbot (inventor of negative/positive
photography), made a series of views of Abbotsford, the residence of Sir
Walter Scott. The photographs were published by subscription in 1845, in a
small volume, entitled, 'Sun Pictures in Scotland.' The publication wasn't a
great success (see http://www.foxtalbot.arts.gla.ac.uk for Talbot's
correspondence). Photohistorians don't seem to think much of Talbot's
photographic efforts here either. But I guess Talbot was paying a kind of
homage to Scott . I was fascinated to learn that Scott's poem was used by
the House on Un-American Activities - even from this distance (Australia).

And I heartily agree about the value of passion.
Thanks Jack!

Catherine

From: "Jack Fulton":