U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: pt/pd mounting > gum framing

Re: pt/pd mounting > gum framing

On Sep 11, 2006, at 3:41 PM, Camden Hardy wrote:

Well, it took a while, but we finally got some interesting conversation
going. Thanks to those who contributed.

So, to make sure I understand this, here's my take on the topic (please,
correct me if I'm misunderstanding). In theory, pt/pd has enough acid
problems to worry about without using an acid board, so use buffered.
However, there's no proof either way that buffered/neutral pH board
actually increases the life of the print. Right...?

I still think there's some confusion here. The issue isn't whether to use an acidic board or to use a non-acidic board; you wouldn't want to use an acidic board under any circumstances. The issue is whether to use (1) a pH neutral, 100% rag museum board (non- buffered), or whether to use (2) a buffered board where the pH is raised to 8 or even 9, to counteract the tendency for the print to become more acidic over time.
Katharine