U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Photopolymer Plate Options

Re: Photopolymer Plate Options

Hi Keith,

I actually learned the splash/scrub technique from Dan Welden, but my time in the drink is shorter. I think he now recommends 90 seconds. 35 is what seemed to work best for me with my plates/screen/exposure times/curve/light source, etc.
35 seconds might, of course, produce different results under your approach if you're using the standard aquatint screen -- even if we're using the same plates, etc. I'm sure you know this, but it seems pertinent to mention it here.

It's like an inverse domino effect. Once the preferred approach is established, each parameter is related to all the others by necessity to get consistent results. If one is out of place or somehow different, then only some of the dominoes will fall:

___ ||||

:-o

And if you do decide to move one of the dominoes as an experiment, other ones must also be moved accordingly for it to work in a similarly consistent manner to your proven and preferred approach.

___////

:-)

Jon

taylordow wrote:
Hi Chris,

I've never used a washout higher than 70-72 degrees with either types of plate, although I admit to extending the time very occasionally from 2 to anywhere up to 8mins. No scientific reasoning going on here, other than some plates and exposures you can just <feel> need a little longer washout. Naturally, I'm curious to try Jon's times of 35sec. I tend to let the plates sit still in the water for the first minute and then gently scrub them in a linear movement, rotating the plate 90 degrees each time. Rinse with cold water and immediately blot with sheets of newsprint to remove excess water.

I'm using an aquatint screen that I got through Dan Weldon.

Keith.