U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: desktop pubs was Re: "Dick Stevens' book."

Re: desktop pubs was Re: "Dick Stevens' book."

I didn't follow where this came from, so it might have been discussed...

I tried Scribus a couple of years back, and I decided that its handling
of font files was vastly inadequate. The software at that time didn't
even use ligatures and the kerning information in the font was also
ignored. This is what most "office" softwares do, as their type
handling is vastly inadequate, but I found this to be unacceptable for
the type of software it is. Also Scribus was very slow and crash-prone
on Linux platform. I went ahead with Adobe InDesign CS2 and I'm pretty
happy with it. It may be that Scribus improved a lot since then, though.

Now for a differet application but I think Lightroom is exciting. It
does much better job than Bridge in CS2 in handling TIFF files I get
from scanned negatives. I would love it if it had "scan" module... but
even with a separate scan software it works very nicely.