U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: "surprise2"

Re: "surprise2"

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 12:42:32AM -0500, Judy Seigel wrote:
Judy,
I hope I can help.  I work with computers but used to be in the photo business
back in NYC.  I also teach (not computers and not photo) so hopefully, I can
explain how email systems work.

1. You are reading email cause you pay $$ to an ISP (in your case, PANIX)
2. If you are not home, your email that is sent to you goes somewhere (let's
call it Grand Central Station).  It just sit there waiting for you to get home.
3.  When you get home, you "call" Grand Central Station and say "guys, give me
all my email and it is delivered to your home.
4.  When you send email from you cozy desk at home, it first has to go to Grand
Central Station.  This way, they can route it to the right person.

# 2 is called your "incoming server".  Email comes "in" there.
# 2 is usally called your smtp server.  But you have to drop it off the back of
 the building, so it is called backofbuilding.grandcentral.station

These 2 pieces of information is important cause if I send email to you, it
won't go to Chicago Grand Central Station.
I hope this helps a little, analogies are always important for this kind of
stuff, especially email.

--
Eric