U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: "surprise2"

Re: "surprise2"

Yes, sign the agreement, no other way, no harm unless you try to copy TBird and/or sell it.

You need to set up your email account in TBird, so use jseigel@panix.com, you don't invent an address, you use the one you already have. Your incoming server is most likely smtp.panix.com; but remember, isp's have tech support help; so if you hit a brick wall, call them, that's part of what you pay every month. Also, go to http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/ for online TBird help and http://opensourcearticles.com/articles/thunderbird_15/english/part_01 for a step by step tutorial that looks pretty good.

If all this doesn't help, I'll be happy to help you via phone, 512-925-9313.

Pam

Judy Seigel wrote:

Dear Rudolfo, Pam, Ben, and ...ooops, I forget who said "Eudora" after I'd committed to T-Bird.... (Eudora might have been better after all... but now I suspect they're all in their own world of systems and jargon and protocols that leave the uninitiate flopping on the deck gasping for water.)

Supposedly an old Chinese saying explains that if you save someone's life you're responsible for them forever after. I, however, merely point out that you guys got me into this and now... hellllp !

It began simply enough... Rudolfo said Thunderbird 2, and Pam, who is NOT given to idle chatter, promptly chimed in to second the motion. Therefore it was with some sense of security, if not actual destiny, that I proceeded to the URL and downloaded TBird.

That operation was in itself a bit baffling, but a kind of computer quirk I'm used to. It gives you a progress bar on which the time ebbs and flows, from 4 minutes to 7 minutes, to 12 minutes to 17 minutes to 20 and 21 minutes, then down to 10 and 7 again, up to 19, 22, and so forth, for a total of 29 minutes and 50 seconds -- and finally, there it is. Now what? Well, quit stalling -- set the thing up and get on with it.

After the licensing agreement, that is. Ye gods, if the digitons come out through the end of the antenna and paint everything in this house blue, I cannot hold them or any of their subheads, assigns, compartments or derivatives responsible.

But what choice do I have ? I "sign."

Next, I need to invent an address. On very short notice, too. My eyes fall on the letter in red crayon posted on the refrigerator -- from my future grand daughter by way of her father. I read, "I hope you like surprises, too." OK, Surprise2 seems to work.

But next is a page of gibberish that stops me in my tracks, and who knows what lies beyond -- it won't let me go there until I've finished my homework here:

Quote: "Enter the name of your incoming server, eg, 'mail.example.net.'"

Hunh?

And, as if that weren't enough, after that it says:

"Enter the name of your outgoing server, for example 'smtp.example.net.'"

I suspect it means that this e-mail program of 18.6 megabytes and 29.5
minutes of download is not self sufficient but requires incoming and outgoing "servers," but what, where and who they are I don't have a clue.

Not only that, but the whole thing unnerved me so profoundly that without any sense of what I was doing, as in a trance, I ate an entire vanilla ice cream sandwich out of the freezer and only woke up at the point of eating another.

So tomorrow it's lettuce leaves and parsley stems, perhaps a leaf or two of bok choy. (Just kidding, I'll run a few miles instead.)

Meanwhile, should I give up and go back to the awful mail program in situ, which I daresay already has its "incoming" and "outgoing" servers? Is there, perhaps, some stock phrase that will satisfy it, like "Open sesame," or do I have to actually know something? And will there be more
of these booby traps? Questions that even the veriest idiot would understand, that leave me nonplussed?

Thanking all kindly in advance, while seriously considering another ice cream sandwich. No, it's 20 of one. Another day shot. I'm going to bed.

sigh,

Judy