U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | VueScan: (was: Re: Measuring DMAX

VueScan: (was: Re: Measuring DMAX

On Jan 23, 2008, at 5:25 PM, Katharine Thayer wrote:

On Jan 15, 2008, at 12:46 AM, Kees Brandenburg wrote:

Hi Marek,

Vuescan <http://www.hamrick.com> can do that. First check the 'Enable Density Display' option in preferences. Then point your mouse to a location in the scan/preview window and hold the control key. Vuescan displays the log density readings of the raw scan. These readings are not altered by your scanner settings or profile.

Kees, I get three density numbers at any given point whether the image is in color or black and white. Is it reading three color densities for each point, or what? I can't see any particular relationship between the density readings and the 0-255 readings from the same coordinates (that you get when you stop depressing the control key). Is there any way to get one density reading for a point?
Hi folks,
I asked this question a week ago and am still waiting and hoping for an answer. Searching the archives this morning, I found an answer from Yves I hadn't noticed before, saying that in his version of VueScan, if he's in black and white mode, he gets one density value.

That's great, but it doesn't answer my question, since in my version of VueScan, as I said in the earlier post, I get three density values whether I'm scanning in color mode or in black and white mode. I was hoping someone knew a way to fix that. I haven't actually purchased the VueScan; I'm just using the downloaded version for the purpose of reading density values. If it actually worked, I might be tempted to purchase the program, but so far it's not terribly useful to me to have three different density values for any given point. This is with VueScan 8.4.56, the version of VueScan that is supposed to work for Mac 10.4.
Katharine