U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Mac OS X Leopard (Re: new problem)

Re: Mac OS X Leopard (Re: new problem)

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Diana Bloomfield wrote:

Anyway, I feel so bad this has gone so far off-topic for alt processes (well, not that bad), but at this point, I think we've all become dependent on computers and printers in one form or another for our work (even if it's simply having a website)-- that I sometimes really do long for the pre- household computer days. I felt my life was much simpler then.
Strictly speaking it's probably off topic, but in fact, since we depend on our computers one way or another and use them probably in similar ways (especially now for digital negs), it doesn't make sense to go to yet another "list" where they're using computers for *different* things (like playing chess or forecasting the weather) & you probably can't hash out the issues of, say, "Time Machine," at your average cocktail party.

There's also the fact that (intentionally or not !) Diana has "educated" some 500 people through her hassles. Our problems won't be exactly the same maybe, but still excellent background for us "civilians." And clearly Apple has one helluva nerve, making you pay to send back a defective part. (I also read that Apple's fancy new store in the NYC meatmarket district has no restroom, ie., toilet, for customers.... so unheard of & obnoxious, it got at least two mentions in city press -- or two that I saw, possibly more.)

As for "life was simpler," true probably, so why do we keep falling for bigger and more complicated (toothier) items ?

J.