U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Pittsburgh

RE: Pittsburgh

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, BOB KISS wrote:

DEAR JUDY,
	Yes, mine were shot in my (former) loft studio on 19th between Park
and Broadway.  INTERVIEW hired a stable of photographers including Albert
Watson, Bill King, Barry McKinley, me, and many others.  The celebs would
come to our studios for hair, make-up, and styling (choosing clothing &
accessories) and then we would shoot.  I had the time to chat with them and
add some personal knowledge to the info I had gained by doing background
research on them before they arrived.  This gave me material to use to get
them to chat, relax, and open up in front of my lens.
Hi Bob...

Obviously, those casual, "candid" portraits take a tremendous amount of effort and planning. (What they really need is a Photoshop plug-in that does it all for you. Heh Heh !)

The effect, if I'm remembering it right, was very stylish, cool, arty. (Andy Warholish maybe? Or was he copying you? Or just something in the air?)

	I would then print a 16X20 black and white print of the shot that
Robert Hayes (managing editor) and Bob Colacello (Publisher) had chosen.  I
would give it to Richard Bernstein who would make a large Photostat of my
print and do his multimedia magic on it; airbrush, hand brush, color pens,
grease pencils, rapidograph, and color acetate overlays.  These would then
be, in the early years, shot with a screen process camera, and in later
years, scanned.
If nobody said it they should have: being natural takes a tremendous amount of effort.

cut

	Ah, reminiscence!  Those were "high times" indeed, but I must
confess that, at this stage in my life, I am right were I want to be.
			BOB

Lucky man ... how many folks can make that statement?

J.