U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: SPE and alt update

Re: SPE and alt update

"As long as those photopolymers are based on monomers like acrylamide etc.,
the "non-toxicity" seems at least questionable..."

"maybe questionable... but having used the acids and other chemicals
required
for the
etching of metal plates, I feel much better about just using water and UV
light to produce
a gravure plate.  I'll never go back to copper for etchings.  The delicate
detail and smooth
gradations of even tone I can achieve with polymer plates more than
satisfies my aesthetic
needs for my work, whether I'm etching from a line drawing or a continuous
tone positive.

susan"

Agreed. Speaking of non-toxicity in the case of these photopolymers is
simply a bit of an overstatement. As long as they're not polymerized (by
light or heat exposure), they're highly reactive ...

Martin