U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: ironing gum prints and other musings

Re: ironing gum prints and other musings

On Sat, 3 May 2008, Michael Koch-Schulte wrote:

The old "analog" gum pigment test was OK when people still were using film (if you could get it to work with your gum brush) but you really have to try
I was going to point out that you could just draw a few squares with a pencil when it dawned on me that this Michael Koch-Schulte fellow was joking... And he is a clever devil. ("Monty Python and The Ministry of Silly Photo Tests"... Or front page of The Onion: "Epson announces that Version 3.01 of the Gum Pigment Ratio Test replaces Version 2.0"?) Etc.

On the bright side, however, I do not think that robots will replace the Swiffer. For an hour tonight I watched as the so called "Roomba" chased itself around my living room and kitchen, going under the sofa 20 times but entirely skipping large sections of both rooms, even when I kicked it... I could have covered the space better in 15 minutes with a "Swiffer," tho I'm not as cute and "Roomba" did do my 2 tiny carpets. (It's a demo model on loan... maybe version 3.01 will do both sides of the room.)

Meanwhile, am I to surmise, Michael, that you don't have digital toilets in Canada ?

J.

the new "digital" gum pigment test to appreciate how far we've come Sandy. I believe version 3.01 is the one you want. Way way better than 2.0 (which was a tad buggy with yellows)! And to date, at least to my knowledge, no one has argued about the results because, obviously, they're digital (read: unchanging and reproducible each time). What will Epson think of next? The digital paperless toilet? (Dare to dream. Dare to dream.)

~m