No, it really doesn't "all depend," Don. You show me a *flat* $10/ month DSL connection (and one that is more than a short-term introductory offer), and I'll be the first to step up and say I was wrong, and you're brilliant. But I'm here to tell you that you will *never* find a $10/month *flat rate* for a DSL connection-- not in *any* universe.

I haven't had dial-up in years, and would certainly give up using a computer if I had to go back to one, so it's no big deal to me. I just think a misleading statement like that ought to be corrected. So there. :)

I will add that I have a lightening fast DSL connection here, but even so-- some websites that are posted here on this list are slow to download for me (not speaking of the two that were just posted, however). So unless it's something I seriously want to view, I know I don't wait more than about 10 seconds, if that, for something to come up. I move on (and I suspect others do as well). For those folks, I'd think about making your images smaller, or doing whatever it takes to shorten that download time. As usual, my 2 cents. :)

On Sep 6, 2008, at 12:32 PM, Don Bryant wrote:

That all depends Diana. But whatever! Complaining about download times is
passé. This is DSL universe now.

-----Original Message-----
From: Diana Bloomfield [mailto:dhbloomfield@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 11:58 AM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: Gum website update

Don,

While I agree that DSL accounts are now relatively inexpensive, and I
could/would never go back to dial-up-- that $10 per month requires
that you are already a customer of whatever service is offering it
(AT&T, for instance), along with some other attached strings. There
is a "DSL lite," too, that is just as good as the regular DSL, in my
experience. But to say that you can get a DSL account "for as little
as $10 per month now" is slightly misleading. "DSL lite" costs are
probably closer to $25-30 a month; our regular DSL is closer to $40/
month. As usual, there are some additional hidden costs-- no matter
what service you're choosing.

Diana