U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Paper negatives (Re: Tricolor gum, order of layers)

Re: Paper negatives (Re: Tricolor gum, order of layers)

Not to disagree with Loris particularly, but simply to expand and
clarify my own feelings about oiling/waxing paper negatives:

I find oiling much easier and quicker than waxing, and also much less
subject to subsequent damage (IME a wax coating, even when the wax is
well rubbed into the paper, tends to scratch easily, and that the
scratches print). Even when I was oiling with mineral oil, which
requires a certain amount of rubbing and heating, I did a whole batch
at once and found that it went very fast; I could oil 15-20 negatives
to completion in 15-20 minutes. With baby oil I suspect it would go
much faster.

As to messiness, the only messiness is in the oiling process itself;
there's no messiness after, if the negative is properly oiled. The
example I gave, where oil continued to ooze out of the paper, was an
obvious failure of process. A properly oiled negative will be
perfectly dry when finished; mine have a crisp dry finish after a
final heat-and-polish step. There is no oily residue and the
negatives can be stored in folders together without any oily ruboff
(although I do store oiled paper negatives separate from my inkjet
transparency negatives just to be sure). Also, there's no need, with
a properly oiled negative, to separate the negative from the coating
with mylar; I never have and have never had a problem, and there is
no need to re-oil to re-use the negative; once a negative is properly
oiled it will print the same (in my experience) from then on. I have
oiled paper negatives that I have used routinely for test prints for
more than ten years that still print exactly the same as when they
were first made.

I'm not urging anyone to do it my way, just making sure "my way" is
properly understood. Thanx,
Katharine