U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Paper negatives- Ink Selection

Re: Paper negatives- Ink Selection

On Oct 15, 2008, at 12:35 PM, Laura Valentino wrote:

Katharine Thayer wrote:
With the cheap

transparency film I use, I won't have any need to go back to paper unless for some reason I can't get that film any more.

Hi Katharine...what type of cheap film? I have the same printer as you. (actually the 1270, which is the Euro model).

Laura

Oh dear, I always paint myself into this corner whenever I mention the cheap transparency film that I use.

The problem is that I don't know what it is. It's something I get from filmsource.com, on recommendation of a friend from this list who gave me a few sheets to try. This company buys different manufacturers' films and repackages them under their own label. Unfortunately, they market different films under the same stock name and #, so I can't even tell you the stock name and # with any expectation that you'd get the same film I use. Once they sent me a different film when I ordered the same stock number again; the other film behaved entirely differently. They wouldn't take it back because they said all the film they sell under the same # should behave similarly enough to not make any difference, but there was a big difference as far as making digital negatives with. I did eventually figure out how to make so-so negatives with the other film, since they wouldn't take it back, but since then they have been careful to send me the same film I got the first time, and I'm happy. But.... I have no idea in the world what it is, so if they go out of business or lose my records or something, I won't have any way of finding that film again, which rather terrifies me. Sorry, I'm afraid that's not very helpful, but it's all I know.
Katharine