U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Stock Paint:Gum Solutions?

Re: Stock Paint:Gum Solutions?

Dirk-Jan,
a broad definition of concentrarion is rhe amount of one substance in the body that is containing such a substance. With the exception of molality (not molaRity), the body is composed by the solute plus the solvent.
So 30 g of gum in 100 g of water cannot be defined a 30% solution. To be more clear, we would refer to as a ratio like 30:100, or 30+100.
BTW, Wikipedia has a very long page about concentration.
Alberto
When *making* a 30% solution, you weigh 30 grams, and dissolve this into 100
grams of solvent (water, in the case of gum).
The final solution, however, is not a solution with a concentration of 30%
w/w gum. You indeed are are correct that my 30% solution in fact has a 23% *
concentration* of gum in water. So, the concentration of gum in water (w/w)
is 23%. The solution itself, though, remains a 30% gum solution (and indeed,
this does not reflect the *concentration* but the '*recipe'* for making the
solution)...
just to make things easier for the non-chemistry people around here ;-)
DJ