U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: acorns(!)

Re: acorns(!)

Hi Katharine,

30 Ekim 2008, Perşembe, 11:37 pm tarihinde, Katharine Thayer yazmış:
> Thanks for sharing your progress, Loris.  A couple of questions:
>
> (1) what is the background color supposed to be?  Is it  white except
> for the shadows under the figures, or is there some tone there?

It's light gray, something close to white but not white...

> (2) remind me what you use for size?

I use 1% formalin hardened gelatin. I think I'm going to up the gelatin
amount in the next batch to 3%... 1% doesn't seem to be enough for the new
exposure time (8:00 instead of 6:30).

> The reason I'm asking these questions is that I'm not entirely
> convinced that what you're calling stain is actually stain, but I
> need a little more information to be more confident about what I
> think is going on.

It's stain in one sense (you can see it in the whites too), but it can be
due slight overexposure too. Will try the next one with 1/3 stop less
exposure and see what happens. I may not need to change the gelatin amnt.
if it doesn't stain the whites and I still get enough highlight detail...
More later.

> I can't quite see the relationship between what you've said you've
> done here and what you said you were proposing to do, but that's okay
> with me.

What I said wasn't meant to be a firm statement or something like that.
That wasn't related to calibrations / curves etc. issue -> it's something
to relieve myself from the boring calibration stuff.

> I'd rather see you (or anyone) making gum prints than
> getting lost in calibration and testing, and besides, it's more fun
> to make pictures.  (I can say this after spending some time a year or
> two ago printing calibration charts myself).

I can understand what you mean here! Will continue the boring stuff anyway...

On the other hand, I have something interesting / exciting to try now:
Pumice powder into arcylic gesso for prints on aluminum and/or Yupo!