U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | acorns(!)

acorns(!)

2008/10/30 Loris Medici <mail@loris.medici.name>:

Hi Keith,

BTW, see my latest print here:
http://www.loris.medici.name/gum/acrons_03_ymc_sm.jpg
Partial calibration; single curve for all colors (devised for magenta),
stock yellow and magenta solutions, eyeballing cyan from tube...
The horizontal bands are the effect of paper negative. (Unfortunately some
sheets show that pattern.) Print size 7x10".

There's considerably more staining than I'd like to have, but still works
for me...

Thanks for sharing your progress, Loris. A couple of questions:

(1) what is the background color supposed to be? Is it white except for the shadows under the figures, or is there some tone there?

(2) remind me what you use for size?

The reason I'm asking these questions is that I'm not entirely convinced that what you're calling stain is actually stain, but I need a little more information to be more confident about what I think is going on.

I can't quite see the relationship between what you've said you've done here and what you said you were proposing to do, but that's okay with me. I'd rather see you (or anyone) making gum prints than getting lost in calibration and testing, and besides, it's more fun to make pictures. (I can say this after spending some time a year or two ago printing calibration charts myself).
Katharine