U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum and Photogravure, was: varnishes

Loris Medici wrote:

> But as a matter of fact stiff oil-based ink also/still contains linseed oil?

Yes, that's correct.  Less than oil paint in general, but it is the binder in most oil based etching inks.
49309.85.99.254.37.1226832790.squirrel@loris.medici.name" type="cite">

BTW, I forgot to mention Chinese wash paintings (sumi-e?) on proper paper.
(Dating back to ca. 600-700's...)

Excellent point and thanks for adding that.  It puts things in better perspective.  We only have a few hundred years of photogravure, and only a few hundred more for oil paintings then.  Watercolor or carbon-based image creation clearly has the head start.

Thanks,
Jon

--
Jon Lybrook