U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Extending gum range

RE: Extending gum range

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Marek Matusz wrote:

Judy, Do I understand you correctly that you can make a gum mix of your
choosing and then expose it to a standard step tablet and get gradation
extending through 15 steps? Marek> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:57:33
When you say "of your choosing" you imply that I'd have free range. I
wouldn't. With the kind of pigment density we consider necessary for
ordinary pictorial gum printing, even with all the tricks discussed here
(flashing, et al) I couldn't. I simply make the point that with very
little pigment you can get a lot more steps. But I also make the point
that you can tailor handling to conditions more than is generally
addressed.

Test with only dichromate & gum, & no pigment at all... Odds are, with a
little trial and error you could get almost the whole range. Add just
enough transparent pigment to show some tone, you'll get fewer steps,
probably, but still a lot. Etc.

The reason I started P-F was to have all my info and "worksheets" where I
could find them, but I could't/wouldn't give the space to a full table of
contents in each issue, and my "INDEX" got stuck at about issue 4. I know
that somewhere I have details on this -- as well as the gum tests I handed
the class...

For instance, now when I say, "long soaks can open up the darks, hence
increase the range," that can be true, or not. In some cases, long soaks
will wash away the top, light steps, as fast as, or faster than the bottom
steps open up. Whether more top steps wash away, or more bottom steps open
up (or maybe they're equal), so that long soaks give maybe more, or maybe
fewer, steps are variables controlled by... exposure, emulsion, paper,
length of soak, type of size, strength of sensitizer, etc., etc., etc.
the details of which I forget now (which is why I put them in print).

In sum, you CAN lengthen or shorten scale, often quite usefully, tho never
(as far as I know) "freely." As noted, I ran through this exercise in some
Post-Factory or other and will look for it. I assigned it to gum classes
after they'd gotten the hang of things... It seemed to me to show more
about the mechanics, controls, and possibilities than any other "lessons"
I could devise. (Besides which, they wouldn't be proving ME "wrong" --
they'd be proving "everything" wrong.)

J.

-0500> From: jseigel@panix.com> Subject: RE: Extending gum range> To:
alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca> > > "Gum range" is not a constant... that
is, it's tied to a particular > density of color. A very lightly
pigmented emulsion can get 15 or even > more steps. A very densely
pigmented emulsion can get as little as > four... and long soaks can
increase range by opening up the darks.> > J.> > >
Suspicious message? There’s an alert for that.
http://windowslive.com/Explore/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_broad2_122008