To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:50 PM
Subject: First print on gesso/Al (Was: Re: OT: Photoshop CS4 upgrade overpriced)

Hi Keith,

Oops, sorry, since the reproduction was a little pale in my screen I
thought it was not finished. Not knowing the source file also could have
confused me.

BTW, I finished my first print on aluminum w/ adulterated acrylic gesso:
http://tinyurl.com/cemmyj

The reproduction is slightly more contrasty and slightly darker than the
actual print.

Surface texture is slightly exaggerated due to oblique non-diffuse light
source. But yes, there's pretty much texture caused by applying the ground
in four thick layers with a foam roller. Will sand following panels.

The surface and image are both pretty strong, but this media doesn't like
more than 4 layers (in my practice, that is), especially when you want to
work quick and force dry using hot air from a hairdryer. Hardened gum
starts to crack... Also after 4 layers, application of coating becomes
harder, forming halos around dark edges (= emulsion sliding due high
relief). I got small ground flaking here and there too (retouched with
permanent CD marker in the reproduction). Will try to let the print dry in
peace next time, in order to see if indeed it's force drying that causes
the problem.

Eventually the negative was a little bit on the strong side (= poor
highlight detail, original image has good highlight detail), will try to
reduce the negative's density range for subsequent prints.

19 Mart 2009, Perşembe, 5:14 pm tarihinde, Keith Gerling yazmış:
oops, sorry, I should have been more clear:

1) this IS the finished picture. 6 layers with 6 negatives

2) this picture is NOT sanded! When I said "I've started to sand", I
should
have said that "after THIS picture, I've started to sand!)

I don't intend to do many of these, either. These negs are 16x24 and they
do consume quite a bit of ink, especially the new orange and green masks
which are almost all black.