U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Paper - baby oil Digi Negs

Re: Paper - baby oil Digi Negs

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Jacek Gonsalves wrote:

Hi all,

I've got some Epson Quality plain paper and oiled them using baby oil on the back to make transparent digital negs. Once I've used them, they dry up over time and become less transparent.
Just wondering if I re-oiling them would it be ok to reuse them or would the oil somehow affect the desnity of the ink as the oil seaps through?
I tested every oil I could find for oiling negatives (baby oil, mineral oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, sewing machine oil, canola oil, etc. etc. etc.) There wasn't a one that didn't start to dry within a day, or two at most. I finally solved the problem with -- not paraffin, but beeswax, which doesn't mottle like paraffin and doesn't dry like oil. I wrote this up in Post-Factory #8, 6 or 7 years ago, so I don't recall details perfectly, but am certain of the gist-- it was for sure a shock, but true.

What do you do with your digi negs paper oiled negs once your done? How do you store them?
Unless you have a new special oil, or maybe a varnish of some kind... you're going to have to oil them again anyway, so .... whatever.

PS. I checked the different oils on negatives at intervals with a densitometer for those findings. Just by eye, the drying is not necessarily evident. And since odds are you'll do a test strip with a neg not used for some time, you may readjust as you go along, so no problem.

Judy