U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: The Democratic Answer to new home - VOTE

Re: The Democratic Answer to new home - VOTE

Don Bryant schrieb:
Which brings up a question.
Does anyone know how long the list will remain active? Should we not think
about an interim solution in case the list stops without notice.
i think we should wait with the voting until we have the feasible options established. my vote is for an independent solution or a cooperation with an established photo site, like apug or alt.photo.com. but i'd definitely prefer a yahoo group to nothing at all.
i think this needs a few days to consolidate and to check the options. hopefully the university won't pull the plug that quickly and/ or give a notice up front.

i don't know how much traffic this list produces, but i'm pretty sure it's not expensive to host a thing like that. my estimate would be that enough webspace to host this list would cost $10 a month (a pretty uneducated guess, i confess, but it's definitely not a big amount of money). this list and the archive might seem enormous, but it is not. it's just text, which is nothing compared to images and else.

i don't know how the situation is in the usa, but in austria it's pretty easy to register a club (association?). an "alt photo list association" financed by donations/ member fee to pay for the cost of the webspace could be a good and independent solution. with a few democratically elected or voluntary officials who take care of the business.

regards
phritz