Re: a big (carbon) mess

a.strauss@worldnet.att.net ( a.strauss@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 13 January 1997 8:04 PM

Suggestion:

Use fibre-based silver gelatine paper that has been fixed for the receiver.
I have never seen that to fail. This wil give you the confidence that your
methodology is correct, and you can continue from there.

My own experience with art paper is using gelatine hardened with formalin
or glyoxil.

Hope this helps

Al.

PS I have a number of Luis Nadeau's books and I consider his carbon book
among the best. Following it to the letter should give you at least
passable
results on your first attempt..

----------
> From: HawTomkins <jcmjohn@ix.netcom.com>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <alt-photo-process@cse.unsw.edu.au>
> Subject: a big (carbon) mess
> Date: Mon, 13 January 1997 12:25 PM
>
> After a lot of Archive reading, thread following, and text scrutinizing,
> made a first attempt at carbon printing this weekend. The results were
> un-Sudek like. Actually, it had the taint of Fluxus, but that's a
semantic
> discussion ...
>
> I'm sure there are plenty of corrections to be made to my procedure, but
> hope someone may be able to help with the most pressing problem: shortly
> (30 seconds to 1 minute) after the tissue and support paper are brought
> into contact in the warm (110F) water bath, the coating on the support
> begins to bubble and soon the entire mass slides off the support paper. I
> peel the tissue off after two minutes, but the bubbling and sliding are
> well under way by then. I suspect the support paper is improperly
> prepared. The prodedure was as follows:
>
> Strathmore 70lb. drawing paper pre-wetted and sized in a mix of 75gm
bloom
> deionized ossein, 4cc glycerin, and 500 ml distilled water. Allowed to
dry
> on a screen about 4hrs. The paper was thoroughly dry (the RH is so low
in
> my house right now that the dog crackles when he trots down the hall).
The

----------quryhous@midcoast.com Mon 13 Jan 8:06 1997