Re: The Film Developing Cookbook (esp re: PMK)

jewelia (jewelia@erols.com)
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 02:19:14 -0800

i have a rather chronic case of jobo weakness myself with anything much more
than minimal volumes in my 8x10 expert drum--i'm looking at your e-mail for
the number --ah 3005 (numbers are hard--i just think of it as the big fat
one myself). as for bigger volumes than it can seem to take or will fit--i
just divide it up--give it some now and some later and enough each
time--does this make sense---seems to work for me--the jobo power is
generally fine to begin with if i have the thing real level and the water
level just right--i sort of have to optimize the weight between trying to
float the tank and not fill it's interior with much of any water bath--you
know what is supposed to go up in the tank to maintain temp and give the
gearing a squirt of h2o for lubrication --this might get it through a
process run with creaks and groans without just giving it up on me--when it
does, i have to give it a caressing nudge everytime it wants to reverse
direction--one direction moreso than the other--might as well be in the dark
in a tray or better be ready to give it a hand assist--anything but the 8x10
"expert" drum seems to be fine including the 4x5 expert drum --what is that
3010?---the 3005 seems to goof up that little lever that trips off the gear
to cause the switching of directions too -- i think my 3005 tank must just
hate me -- seems to me that this 3005? drum is a bit much for the rest of
the machine--when did you get yours? -- or -- did i get mine too early or
too late or do i just have the most lemon-flavored of all jobo? mine's 3 or
4 years old--i had to replace the pump last year--like i use it lots --naah!

as for pyro--i prefer the single sheet tray method myself (as i do for all
my 8x10 film except if i am in an unusual rush--and my favorite pyro is
weston abc -- frankly it rhymes with my meter and triparte solutions are
much more spirtually rewarding for me--but i will resort to pmk pyro and do
a lot of negs in hc 110 at various dilutions when i am otherwise inspired.
i haven't tried the rollo but i saw some good negs made by carl weese at
platypus that i believed he used rollo pyro to develop.

but i am interested in this jobo thing--i mean i really wish i could put a
different motor on this thing that was sort of --well meant for it. i
complained to jobo when i got the thing -- about that and some other
cost-cutting design features that i thought were a bit much and not too
fun---i mean i was glad to get that $10 or bent metal add- on handle thing
made by some noncorp genius that you can use instead of the one jobo
provides that anyone in there right mind--not me i suppose--should be able
to understand--ITS GONNA BREAK!--where did i get by calling and writing the
corp--well no where other than a free jobo journal i recall -- take it or
leave seems to be the usual pattern in those big photo companies these
days--HA!ha!--so i was glad to switch to Pt and other alts -- and i just
found a whole gallon of collodion--someone gave it to me --its quite old i
suspect but looks good as new to me--has a nice medical smell to it--is that
the ether? whee that was good! --says on the jug "A Superior Plain Collodian
of Unusual Uniformity" man. by Phillips & Jacobs in Philly--but its only for
industrial use only--hope it works for landscape--i guess i shouldn't have
sniffed twice--not kidding that stuff is *! happy jewelia