Re: Registering Paper Negs

Peter Charles Fredrick (pete@fotem.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:23:12 +0000

Dear Adam,

>>Can anyone tell me why I am having so much trouble re-registering my paper
negs for gum prints? I can't understand it. I've preshrunk as I normally did
for analog negs. I register before coating on a light table, and very
securely tape the negative into place. I simply don't understand it. It
isn't that my registrations are off by a hair- they can be 3mm off or more!<<

You do seem to be having some problems, my students and I have been using
paper digital negs for nearly eighteen months now with no problems, so if I
go over our technique something may click and be of help.
I print the image through Photoshop using a Mac and Epson Stylus colour1520
this system offers a choice of register marks, I prefer the center crop marks
I make sure that there is a 1/4inch black safe edge around the negative
image the center crop marks lie on the outside edge of this.I use a system
of mechanical registration based on the humble office punch making a six
(6)mm hole.
The negs are made, then the edge to be punched is reinforced with magic tape.
Then oiled with sunflower oil and wiped dry with a cloth. I have made a jig
on my light box for the final punching. This is a thick piece of glass the
same size as the negative also the same thickness as the base of the punch
both the punch and glass are stuck down to the top of the light box with
strong parcel tape.The jig allows the neg to slide in and out of the jaws
of the punch with no obstruction,I carefully place the first negative into
the jaws of the punch and stick it down firmly and flatly with magic tape,
next I present the next separation or negative and slide it onto the first
and then line the center crop marks by eye and finally punch, the same
procedure is repeated with each printer, this may sound complex but in fact
it is easy and simple. The paper I use is Tetenal spectra jet Duo Print
Paper this paper is double coated which may aid stability ?

Hope this helps

Pete

ps Also we use Kimdura/Synteape which is a plastic base and as such is
dimensionally stable which is most useful, as it is one varible out of the
way

http://www.fotem.demon.co.uk/ To visit petes parlour gallery, there is now a
Guestbook !