Re: Nelson's Gold Toner, further notes

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Wed, 26 May 1999 07:20:23 -0700

Wasn't there a method a couple, three (plus) decades ago that taught us to
fix the print, and transfer it to a 'fresh' fixing bath while continuing on
to print more negatives?

In other words, there was a two step fixing method and that would make sense
as to the instruction to go to a 'fresh fix' as well as an explanation that
this 'fresh fix' actually stops the toning while alum toners stop themselves
at exhaustion.

S. Shapiro (old guy), Carmel, CA

 --- snip ---
>But
> the solution becomes saturated with silver long before all the hypo is
used
> up, at which point any more silver no longer becomes completely soluble,
and
> so remains in the film/paper, even though "spare" hypo is still present.
> This is what must be avoided, and, I believe, is what "fresh fix" refers
to.

--- snip ---

> Was finally getting some printing done and someone had to send a message,
> didn't they??
>

> Liam --- not snipped --- Care to trade prints from today's work? S.
Shapiro