Re: grooves on tubes RE: jobo help

Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 08:46:44 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Judy Seigel wrote:

> Get some round, solid, lucite rods, about 50 cents each <snip> and lay a
> line of methylene chloride, solvent adhesive for acrylics, along them
> out of a syringe (available at Industrial Plastics on Canal St as are
> the tubes and the rods).
>
> Then INSTANTLY stick rods into the tube & press against the wall. Or
> better yet, hold rod in position inside tube & drop a few drops along the
> join line at one end, then reverse tube & drop a few drops at the other
> end. The 2 pieces will meld.

Very clever - this sounds to me like the way to do it!

I was concerned about the machining ideas since cutting a groove will
usually create a burr along the edge of the cut that would need to be
polished away. Polishing would sharpen the edge of the resulting groove
though, so you'd like to chamfer the edge of the groove. However, that
means more machining and polishing.

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)