Leaf Prints: Chlorophylography & Photoripeography

From: Ray Rogers (earthsoda@yahoo.com)
Date: 04/01/00-10:20:53 AM Z

Hummm... I might be wrong, but I think you may not
have been paying enough attention to what the teacher
was saying...I would venture to say that the
instructor was referring to NOT to photoGRAPHIC
sensitivity, but to PHOTOsensitivity... actually there
are several terms which come to mind...negative
geotropism is one, (but I don't belive it is correct
or specific enough to describe the positive attraction
plants exhibit for light)...another is phototropic
behavior... perhaps thats the one. Perhaps the
instructor was just talking about
photosynthesis...Perhaps, we will never know.

However,

Green Plants are photosensitive and although not
commonly used, this photosensitivity can be utilized
in a (photo)graphic manner. Since growing leaves use
sunlight to produce(?) chlorophyll, which gives the
leaves their green color, depriving them of sunlight
results in a white-ish non-colored area on the leaf or
plant. If you choose a large enough leaf and
effectively attach a negative to it so as to
sufficiently block out enough of the sunlight, the
image on the negative will be copied onto the leaf.
Thus, a living, natural photographic printing material
is a reality... all that is lacking is someone to take
this Idea and push it into the world of high art.

But "Chlorophylography" is not the only way to go.
There is also an exciting new process:
"Photoappleography" or, more descriptive perhaps,
"Photoripeography"! This is a process (somewhat
similar to tanning or sunburning?) of ripening...
plants frequently change color when they ripen and
this ripening is at least to some extent, controlled
by exposure to sunlight. An example of this quasi-, or
avant-garde photographic process comes out of the
orient, from Japan.

The Japanese love huge, visually perfect fruit, and go
to abnormal lengths to pamper their growth. One such
fruit is the 'Mutsu' apple. I belive it is this apple
that I have seen printed upon commercially...the
producers sell stores contact printed apples... I
think I saw one with the kanji word "Kotobuki" that
was kind of attractive... I have also seen majestic
mountains photogrammed on apples....

So, if you want, there is still room for 'higher'
artistic expression in this exciting new process.

Here again, Emily, your exposures will measure in
hours at least, with several days being more likely to
produce pleasing results!

Good Luck! And Happy April Fools Day!

Ray Rogers

(P.S. to Luis Nadeau: I bet these processes aren't in
       your dictionary---yet!;-)