Re: Leaf Prints: Chlorophylography & Photoripeography

From: Ray Rogers (earthsoda@yahoo.com)
Date: 04/05/00-07:50:47 AM Z

Carl,
Interesting suggestion...I've lived with both kinds
and they are very fast growers! One problem perhaps...
the leaves are not very smooth... very jagged edges
and I belive they are somewhat furrowed along the
length of their veins; these veins sit inside a slight
"valley" so while possible, it will take a bit of
ingenuity...(how about a glass sandwich?)to hold the
negative and leaf together flat.

Search on Yahoo for "castor bean" turned up pictures
of the green variety, perhaps hunting would find the
red one as well.

Thanks Carl for the Greek name suggestions!

One Question, slightly off this threads topic:
While on the topic of leaves, does any one out there
know the name of the process used to make 'Leaf Lace'?
(my term) Or know the process itself? The Indians and
or the Chinese make beautiful paintings on large
leaves which they either wait for natural
'skeletonizing' or, more likely, treat somehow to
remove all of the leaf 'meat' leaving only the
veins... which they then bleach; as the veins are very
fine, one has a very delicate canvas upon which to
paint or for our interest, sensitize and print upon.

Ray